ALESHA'S APPLE CRISP
A Family Tradition
My absolute favorite dessert this time of year is apple crisp. For a couple of reasons, it’s cozy and comforting and very nostalgic. I’m pretty sure my Mom has made apple crisp every Thanksgiving mainly because she knows it’s my favorite.
I’ve changed it up a little over the years attempting to make it a bit healthier, but who are we kidding we all need a little dessert from time to time.
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup whole regular flour – can sub for wheat pastry flour. gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats, gluten free if desired – I’m usually very generous with Oats as the topping is the best part
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter or vegan buttery stick, cut into very small cubes (can also use coconut oil
- 5-6 medium Apples, peeled, cored and sliced – any of your favorite apples will work
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg – I sometimes leave this out
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease an 8x8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the topping: Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon in a large bowl until well-combined. Add in the pieces of butter and use your hands to squeeze and combine until the mixture becomes crumbly and resembles wet sand.
- Once finished, place topping in the fridge and begin making the apple filling.
- To make the filling: Place apples, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla in a large bowl and toss to combine. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Take 1/3 cup of the topping mixture and toss with the apple mixture. Place the apple mixture in prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Option….layer on zig zag pattern with honey, gives it a little extra crisp
- Bake the crisp for 45-55 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes on wire rack. Serve warm with your favorite vanilla ice cream. Makes 9 servings.