Mornings are hectic in our house. I need something super easy and convenient to start my day.
This summer, my go-to starter was a healthy smoothie. It's packed with mineral-rich greens and vitamin rich fruits.
The beauty of this smoothie is that it works with whatever you've got in the fridge. The ingredients are super easy to swap out when you're low on groceries (usually the case for me!) or tired of the same old combinations.
I've given you my go-to recipe with my favorite substitution options - happy juicing!
• 2 cups of water
• 2-3 romaine hearts
• 6 cups of spinach or 6 cups of kale (~ small bunch)
• 2-4 stalks of chopped celery or 1 medium cucumber
• 1 green apple cored and cubed or 1 pear cored and cubed
• 1 red apple cored and cubed or 1 cup of strawberries
• 1 medium banana - I prefer mine frozen
• 1/4-1/2 freshly squeezed lemon or lime for some added zing!
• Ice cubes as desired
1. Roughly rip romaine, kale or spinach into pieces. Blend water on low to medium speed.
2. Add chopped veggies and continue to blend.
3. Add chopped fruit and blend on medium to high.
4. Drizzle with lemon or lime and add 3-4 ice cubes, pulse to blend. I like my smoothie to be a little slushy, so I usually add additional water and ice.
Makes approximately 4 servings and can last in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
I usually throw my next morning's portion back into the blender with a little more water and ice plus a squeeze of lemon to refresh.
Let us know your favorite combinations, comment below!